Rheumatoid Arthritis is a progressive autoimmune disease which affects tissues around joints and certain internal organs such as membranes around the heart, also known as pericardium, membranes of the lung known as pleura, or can even result in nodule-like structures in subcutaneous tissues. In rare cases arthritis can also affect the sclera of the eyes.
Rheumatoid Arthritis has all the features of what is known as “Ama Vatha” in Ayurveda. Ama is a toxic compound that develops in the body and hinders the proper functioning of the agni element.
Vatha dosha is found wherever the accumulation of Ama takes place.
Though Rheumatoid arthritis can show varied symptoms according to a person’s routine, body type, as well as climatic conditions, there are certain common symptoms, such as:
- Prolonged joint stiffness, especially after waking up
- Muscle pain
- Body fatigue
- As the disease progresses, the lining of the joint becomes swelled, leading to joint pain especially during winters. If left untreated for long it can lead to extreme pain, even resulting in joint deformity.
- The disease has periods of remission (during which time there are no symptoms) followed by relapses that worsen with time.
- Rheumatoid arthritis usually swells multiple joints in a symmetrical pattern (both sides of the body affected).
Other symptoms include:
- Chest pain while breathing
- Dryness of the eyes and mouth
- Nodules under the skin (usually a sign of more severe diseases)
- Numbness, tingling, or burning in the hands and feet
- Difficulty in sleeping
Ayurveda has several highly effective treatment procedures that can cure rheumatoid arthritis if treated at an early stage
The following are the major procedures prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Irritation of the mucous membranes• Purification therapy or Shodhanachikitsa
- Shamanachikitsa (Targeted treatment for reducing Ama in the body)
- Diet control
Apart from these several massages, treatments with medicated oils are also done according to the patient’s requirement after an in-depth consultation with the doctor. In severe cases complete cure may not be possible but treatment procedure helps to reduce pain,
increase mobility and reduce dependence on allopathic medications.